17 September 2013

The Time Keeper (A Mitch Albom Novel)




“Consider the word “time.” We use so many phrases with it. Pass time. Waste time. Kill time. Lose time. In good time. About time. Take your time. Save time. A long time. Right on time. Out of time. Mind the time. Be on time. Spare time. Keep time. Stall for time. There are as many expressions with “time” as there are minutes in a day. But once, there was no word for it at all. Because no one was counting. Then Dor began. And everything changed.” 

       I first saw the book displayed at a bookstore. At first, I thought it was a weird site  because there was only one copy (the others were displayed in pairs) and it was awkwardly placed at a corner. I had to move closer to read the title through the glass and it said The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. You see, I became a huge fan of Albom after I read his other novels Tuesdays with Morrie and Five People you Meet in Heaven. His stories are the awesome kind  that make you seriously  contemplate on your life and these are the types that I’m drawn to. (Weird? =) ) 

 The Time Keeper  is the story of three people’s struggle with so-called Time.  Victor Delamonte, a very wealthy man who desired immortality; Sarah Lemon, a teenage girl who wanted an end to everything, and Dor, known as Father Time, the one who started it all. It’s a great book I must say. The story played and replayed in my head days after reading it and for me it’s a sign of a well written book. I will not tell you what happened of course because it will spoil the whole idea of me recommending the book to you, yes?  

 Some morals of the story:

Do not count the moments in life, experience it instead. Be in the moment, be it good or otherwise. Feel it. Live it because just like everything else, moments pass.

   Have faith. It is when it’s supposed to be.

  Let us not deny ourselves what the future may hold for us. It’s too soon to quit.

 Money is not everything.  It helps but I repeat it’s not everything. 

Let time be a gift not a curse. Share it with others but more importantly have some for yourself.




 And perhaps a few more lines ...



  

“Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.” 




“You had many more years,” he said.
“I didn’t want them.”
“But they wanted you. Time is not something you give back. The very next moment may be an answer to
your prayer. To deny that is to deny the most important part of the future.”
“What’s that?”
“Hope.” 






" Man rarely knows his own power." 



** I do not own the pictures.