08 July 2014

Confessions of a K-Drama Fan


          It was in 2006 when Asian tlevision series gained widespread popularity on Philippine TV. Who would forget the craze over Dao Ming Ze and San Cai and the rest of Flower Four or F4. Gone were the days when Filipino audience ohhhed and ahhhed over Thalia, Maria Mercedes and other Spanish- Mexican soap operas. Suddenly, Asianovelas,as they mildly put it, took the Philippine entertainment by storm.
Garden. Who didn’t? I was in my senior year in high school and a teenager at that and besides  it was the ‘thing’ that time and everyone was gushing over those guys or maybe, it was just probably me (Hahaha!). My love for Asian films and drama series sort of started around that time. It went on during college and yes, up until now. (@24!)

       I did watch Meteor



           I've been watching Korean dramas more than the other Asian films maybe, because I've grown accustomed to hearing their language. If you ever watched one, I'm sure you know what I mean.





So here's some of the reasons why I like K-dramas.
                                                                          
      Korean drama series stick to the main story until the end unlike our Filipino soaps.  If it’s a love story then it is portrayed as is or an action or suspense movie, then elements of this and that is added to spice up the story. I have nothing against ours, it’s just that the content and lifespan of most  our “telenovelas” greatly depend on the viewership of the people or on the ratings. If it is a hit, the story tends to be longer than it should be and the quality of the story becomes less appealing. Then there are new or guest characters popping up adding to the confusion of who’s who in a rather ambiguous 'power house cast of stars'.

             Koreans are proud of their cultural heritage. I’ve seen some historical dramas and I love the way Koreans promote their culture through the series . Few things I know about  Korea, I’ve learn it from watching koreanovelas.
               



            Korean drama series are mostly unpredictable. It’s full of twists and turns  and you will never know what will happen next unless you finish the story. Unfortunately, unlike us  who prefer happy endings, I think korean script writers have a knack for killing one ( or all) of their main characters. More mellow dramatic I should say.
                               

        I do not know hangeul but i managed to learn some simple words because of watching Korean drama series.

                              


             Korean drama series  have a way of  romanticizing simple and ordinary things . Walking in the rain or watching a street light or growing fireflies - not at all that romantic but when I watch it in Korean movies, I’m like oh okay that was  niiiiice... who would think such could be done. Hmmn.

                                  


And yes.. Korean actors are just so good looking. ‘nuf said. =)